JCpenney - JC Penney credit card interest rate increase

Aug 18, 2009
review #155357

If this is the bank that handles JCPenney's credit card services, I am very aggravated over the increase in the interest rate of this card.It was already ridiculously high and now it is being jacked up even higher which I feel is exemplifying greed and a lack of concern for the users who are already facing difficult enough times with this economy.

I personally will not be using my card any more unless I can pay off the balance the next month.

I also will be advising people to not apply for a JCPenney card or to use theirs if they already have one and I have been an employee of JCPenney who had to encourage people to apply for cards.Shame on you!!

a94dd82
Had an experience with JCpenney?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
Diana

Nov 06, 2012

Long time customer, it is a joke the credit card raises, I only owe $40 dollars and I PAID $25.00 MINIMUN REQUIRED NO EVEn IN MY BIGGEST CREDIT CARDS THAT I OWE CHART ME THAT. I'LL SAY DONT BUY THERE ANYMORE, THIS STORE SUCKS WE DO NOT NEED THIS IN THIS POOR ECONOMY COMMON SERIOUS? :upset :( :cry

Tee Thompson

Oct 19, 2012

I just paid off a near $900 balance with JC Penny last week. I am so relieved.

Christine

May 25, 2012

I too am a long time customer of J.C. Penney. I have not used my card or shopped there since the interest rates went up. In a way I feel they did me a favor. Now I will pay it off. I have talked to other people that feel the same way.

Mike

Mar 23, 2012

I have a JC Penney card also. I do agree the interest rate is high. In fact it is as high as most other department stores.
I do have a solution, however. Only buy what you can pay for at the time.
I charge on it all of the time so I can earn the Reward dollars then make sure I pay it off befor the due date. In fact, I often pay for my charged purchase immediately after purchasing at the register. This is something several of their clerks have suggested in order to not pay finance charges.
Don't blame Penney, or the bank for that matter, blame yourself.

Dojonomo

May 15, 2011

Instead of using your credit cards to buy what you "want", Buy only what "need" with cash.
Act your wage people, if you can't pay with cash don't get it, period.
The top one percent of the country loves you, because you continue to complain about the rates, instead of making responsible financial decisions.
I hope this impacts at least one reader;).

Joseph S.

May 07, 2011

I told GE Bank that i am on ssi, and cannot afford to pay what JC Penney wanted me to pay so GE started to harrass me for the 134.00 dollars, and kept saying i'm behind on my payment JC Penney told me i can pay 114.00 dollars then turn around say i'm behind on the amount on the bill to me that is not fair for both JC Penney, and GE Harrassing me PS i was a good customer too. :cry

Joseph S.

May 07, 2011

JC Penney got GE bank to harrass me for $134.00 Jc Penney was suppose to take the amount i payed them so i would have less to pay them but instead they kept the ballance the same amount Ge was harrassing me to pay up they also destroyed the new clothes they was suppose donate. :cry

RGH

Apr 01, 2011

JC Penneys rates are crazy not only am I getting rid of their card, I am no longer going to buy a thing of that store. Thats their reward.

Janice P

Mar 19, 2011

This card will be paid off and never used again!!!28.9 Interest rate, are they insane!!!!

kathy draper

Feb 11, 2011

I was checking my credit report they say i hsve a credit card with you i do not have one :(

kathy draper

Feb 11, 2011

JC Penney customer - JC Penney

Dec 28, 2010

I have had a Jc Penny Master card account for many years. What ever happened to the way they use to do business?? They increaced their interest rates to 28% for purchases and cash advances!!! Isn't Master card making enough money from the tax payers and consumers in this country?? Chec the Dow numbers if you really want to get sick. This is just pure greed!!! :cry :cry

0 0 Reply
Long time care holder -- never

Dec 05, 2010

I just closed my account after 20 plus years. Couldn't believe how high the interest rates are. So much for the JCP rewards program--looks like the only reward I was getting for customer loyalty is a higher interst rate. Another company praying on working class who can't always afford to pay with cash.

kme455

Dec 04, 2010

This is outrageous raising rates for new purchases up to 28.99% after years of using this card. NO MORE JCPENNEY RIPOFF CARD FOR ME.

GAR

Oct 13, 2010

I was not aware of the rate increase because I always pay off my credit card charges each month. However, because I travel, I was one day late paying my JCPenny credit card off in full - and was charged a $15 fee the next month. I will no longer shop at JCPenny as a first choice. Thank goodness there are other stores that carry much of the same brands and have a more cooperative and understanding customer service department. I am very disappointed in such a major retail player...that has chosen to play with people's pocketbooks at such a devestating economic time.

0 0 Reply
Asking for giving a low rate o

Oct 08, 2010

Call JC Penney but transfer to GE Bank CS who owes the JP CC. Ask for a low rate as I am only getting SSI benefits and cannot pay a big monthly fee, GE BanK mean woman told me to STOP USING the card, I ask again, what can u do 4 me? She said, Return all the items you buy so your monthly pay got lowered. I asked again what can u do 4 me? She told me to closed the account. Well i am not going to close it but will return some of the items i already used as I still have all the receipt then stop using the card.. Fair enough for me.

Creditresearcher.

Jul 11, 2010

The APR is high because it's a RETAIL CREDT CARD & also a private lable card. Just like all other RETAIL credit cards. Do your research! Retail cards are used for there rewards thats what you need to take advantage on. Only spend what you can afford.

BB

Feb 22, 2010

I agree, increase rates are crazy! I will have to keep an eye javascript:ac_smilie(':x')out to make sure they don't charge an annual fee or just a fee for not using the card as some credit cards are now charging, which I just read on a yahoo article today. If that is to happen I will cancel all the cards. I really don't need them I just have them for credit purposes. So if need be, I will cancel and pay cash as we always do anyway. javascript:ac_smilie(':grin')

Nan Parker

Dec 09, 2009

I have not used my JC Penny card in some time and was not aware of the interest hike. I had planed to use my card for Christmas gifts since time are hard for me right now, but I have changed my mind. Thank you for your comments.

A faithful Customer

Dec 08, 2009

I have had a JCP Penney's card a very long time and I was really UPSET that the rate hike went to 23.99%. I was a day late twice this year in paying my bill and now a trigger rate of 30% is being applied. WATCH OUT - it doesn't matter that I have paid them faithfully for years and always paid more than the minimum. This is riduclous!! A full history of the paying customers should be reveiwed and if you do not see a pattern of not paying, why can't you see that MAYBE this was a one time slip. It is ludicrous to run off good customers with BAD decisions. I will be paying off the balance and not charging another item on this card. I will be giving all of that 23.99% interst to other stores. :( :( :( :( :(

1-20 of 27 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about JCpenney.
Filing a new complaint about
×