JCpenney - Can't use a gift card to pay for a credit card?!!

274 of 640 Jcpenney Reviews
Jan 22, 2013
review #378072

I have shopped with JCPenney for over 15 years. Before all the recent policy changes, I used to be able to use JCP gift cards to pay my credit card bill. I prefer getting merchandise with the gift cards, however, if I happened to spend too much over Christmas, it was nice to use the gift card instead to help save a little money. Being that everyone I am related to knows how much I shop at JCP, I received several JCP gift cards for Christmas. Today, I walked in to the store to use my gift card to pay the bill and I was told I could no longer do that. I called the hotline to ask someone if that was really true and after 35 minutes on the phone trying to get to a higher level person, it was confirmed. A gift card is the same thing as cash. It is not like paying a credit card bill with another credit card. I can understand why they don't allow payments with other credit cards because it is paying with money that truly isn't yours, and they have to pay extra fees to process all of that. A JCP gift card has no fees, and is the equivalent of me handing a clerk cash, and them handing back a plastic card that says "this is how much money you have given me". What JCP, and the "guru" who has dumped them into the ground faster than any company in the history of commerce, are doing might or might not be illegal (based on the fact I don't have a law degree). It is money entrapment. Money entrapment is when a company forces people to spend more money by locking them into something as a way to double sales. I think there was a reason apple let this guy go, they knew what his business plans were like.

If I get enough interest on this complaint from others, I will lead a class action suit against their credit card policies on this, as well as their late fee charges. The credit card companies all were forced to change by the government, why should JCP get away with it?

I have only had one other issue with the "new" system. I think the late fee itself is too high and too severe. Last year I had a bill get delivered to my address a little later than usual. I had one week to pay it. I went into a JCP store the day after it was due. I was still charged $35. I manage a business where we have due dates on bills and we give up to 10 days after the due date to pay the bill without a fee. And if it is still late, then it is a $10 fee. We are nowhere near the size of JCP, however, we still have the happiest customers you could imagine for over 35 years. If you treat people decently, they will come back!

Please respond if you are interested in a class action suit.

657579e
1.5
Had an experience with JCpenney?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
CAPTCHA
JCPhater

Jul 09

You're an ***. Pay using cash, check or debit card.

Joe

Aug 02, 2013

I'm guessing the reason you can't use a gift card to make a payment is that you can puchase a gift card with a credit card. So in a way it would be as if you are paying with a credit card.

Feb 07, 2013 Columbus, Ohio

I used to work at JCP for 4 years before you could pay with your gift card until they changed that policy.

abcd1234

Feb 05, 2013

Isn't it to be expected that somebody working for a company would WANT to keep their identity hidden, whether or not they were high up or not? Why give it away? Just my opinion.

Andrews1111

Feb 05, 2013 Tampa, Florida

To "anon"...I am not arguing that their policy does exist. I am arguing the fact that that could violate antitrust laws. And you are not paying credit with credit. Credit is "money that is given to you that you do not have". A gift card is a debit card, meaning it is your money that you are paying with, not theirs. Why is this fact so hard for people to understand?
Say it with me folks...."Business classes are goooood!"

And to "abc1234", you have a point. Either way, they are not part of the solution, they are part of the problem.
If you guys like being treated the way JCP treats customers, then I invite you to my store. I will let you buy a gift certificate and then I will tell you that all you can use it for is a trashcan. Hope you need a trashcan!

ella

Feb 07, 2013

anon may have been utilizing the word "credit," to imply STORE credit, would have been nice if that was clarified. store credit is only valid on merchandise. instead of insulting people, why don't you take the time to make sure you understand fully what is being said?

adklj

Feb 04, 2013

uhm...i work for the company. customers have never been allowed to use gift cards to pay a credit card bill...lord have mercy, what is this world coming to? if what you're saying is true, the people allowing you to do so should have been fired. either way, common sense says ***.

anonymous

Feb 04, 2013 Tampa, Florida

Common sense....please describe to me how this so called "common sense" works? Does common sense entrap someone's money? If someone wants to pay someone else's JCP card as a gift, the only way they could do that safely is to mail a gift card to that person. A gift card is CASH! Nothing more, nothing less. The bearer of the gift card should be able to use it however they want to, as long as it is being used with that company. Not allowing to do so is money entrapment.
And I have been allowed to do so in the past. If those workers have violated a rule, then kudos to them for doing what is right. Corporations have gotten way too big and have sunk the country, why should they get to live like kings and control everyones' money?
I have a feeling this is just a troll comment, designed to inspire a rebuttal. If you were someone high up in JCP, I doubt you would start your comment with "uhm". However, if you do actually work for JCP, try being part of the solution, rather than part of the problem.

anon

Aug 02, 2013 Orlando, Florida

A gift card is NOT NOT NOT NOT CASH otherwise places would allow you to return them and get your cash back in the event that you can't use it lol. You can buy gift cards with cash, credit, and debit. So yes sometimes it possibly could have been paid for with cash, but at the same time it could have been paid for with a credit card which is not anyone's money (it's the banks that lend you credit money). Once it's on the gift card, it's a GIFT CARD! (CARD) (CARD) (CARD) NOT CASH CASH CASH......just like some things ridiculous customers say that coupons are Cash, they are NOTTTTTTT!!!! ok?!

×
You were reading a complaint about JCpenney.
Filing a new complaint about
×